Veteran Services

  • Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Department of Defense determine who are eligible for educational benefits.
  • If a student feels that he/she may be eligible to receive benefits they can go online to www.gibill.va.gov and submit VA form 22-1990 electronically, call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to have the application mailed to you or visit your nearest VA regional office to apply in person.
  • It may take the Department of Veterans Affairs thirty (30) days to process all applications received.
  • Once a student has applied and their eligibility is determined, VA will notify them by mail.
  • It is the student’s responsibly to submit a copy of their approved certificate to the VA representative in the financial aid office.
  • It is also the responsibility of the student to register for classes, clear fees and provide a copy of their class schedule to the VA representative in the financial aid office each semester.
  • Upon receipt of the student’s approved certification and class schedule then the VA representative will proceed to creating a folder and an account in VA-Once so that the student could be certified and receive benefits.


Vocational Rehabilitation

  • Students that may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation must be a veteran or service member that has a disability or employment handicap approved by the Veterans Administration and can no longer work.
  • Students can apply using VA form 28-1900 either online at http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp, by mail, or contacting their regional Veterans Administration Office.
  • Once the student has applied and is eligible, their assigned Vocational Rehabilitation specialist will notify the VA representative in the financial aid office using VA form 28-1905.
  • The VA representative will complete the VA form 28-1905 and notify the Vocational Rehabilitation Specialists. At this time, the student may charge tuition, fees, books/supplies to their accounts.
  • Two weeks after second session of the semester begins, WCCS will bill Vocational Rehabilitation through an invoice and appropriate documentation will be provided.

For further information and application procedures, students should contact the AL Department of Veterans Affairs VR&E, 345 Perry Hill Road, Montgomery, AL 36109-3798. The telephone number is (334) 273-7796.   


Students desiring to attend the Technical Division may be eligible for assistance (tuition, fees, books, and tools) under the Workforce Investment Act (W.I.A.).

  • WIA Contracts are approved by the various Career Centers around the state.
  • Contracts are then sent to the Cashier’s Office for processing.

Students are usually awarded amounts in accordance to the program of study, which includes an expectation of what it will cost a student to attend college for that particular program.  The figure includes an allowance for tuition, fees, books, and other required tools and supplies.

  • WIA Contracts are received into the Cashier via fax, mail, or email.  Once the contracts are received they are then entered into the system and are viewable on MYWALLACESELMA.
  • Once the contracts are in the system the students may charge out tuition and fees through the cashier.  They may also charge their books and other supplies out in the Bookstore using their student account.
  • Students GPA’s are monitored each semester for compliance with program rules and regulations.
  • If students do not comply they are terminated from the program using form WDD 14.

Interested students must first apply at the Alabama State Employment Office and be determined eligible for services. For more information regarding WIA, contact the Selma Career Link at (334) 875-8909, or the Alabama State Employment Office.



This program is designed to reimburse the guard member for the amount of tuition, fees, books, and supplies which exceed the National Guard (federal) tuition assistance available for the term. Students desiring this type of assistance should obtain an ANGEAP application from their unit and complete Section I. They should then bring the application along with current bookstore receipts to the financial aid office.   Awards will be determined on a first-in, first-out basis as long as funds are available.

WCCS @ Facebook WCCS @ Twitter WCCS @ YouTube

George Corley Wallace State Community College (Wallace Community College Selma)
3000 Earl Goodwin Parkway   P.O. Box 2530   Selma, Alabama 36702-2530  
Phone: 334-876-9227
(c) 2014 Wallace Community College Selma

It is the official policy of the Alabama State Department of Education, including postsecondary institutions under the control of the Alabama Community College System and Board of Trustees, that no person in Alabama shall, on the grounds of race, color, handicap, sex, religion, marital status, creed national origin, or age, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment.

George Corley Wallace State Community College (Wallace Community College Selma) is accredited by the Commission on Colleges, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and Associate in Applied Science Degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Wallace Community College Selma.

Online Student Coaches
Close Button for chat ad